Today, we live in a fast-paced and busy world. We are exposed to a lot of pollution and dirt. Our eating habits are compromised and we have become dependent on medicines and chemical products for quick fixes. Be it your hair, skin, or weight, what we are, is a result of what we eat! Our elders always preferred home remedies and ask us to eat well. There is a good reason for that. If we have a good diet, it keeps our bodies healthy and reflects on our hair and skin too. Here is a list of things one must eat to have healthy and glowing skin.
- Plenty of Water: Water is the Holy Grail for your skin. Water is a natural cleanser for your body and clears your pores. Ideally, you should be having one glass of water every hour during the day. If you want to switch it a little, you can add slices of oranges/lemon/cucumber/mint leaves (You can add any combination of 2 or more of these) to make it a detox drink of the day. It tastes good and is beneficial for your body too
- Eggs: Eggs are a versatile food and can be included in so many different ways in our diets. Scrambled eggs or an omelette is a perfect breakfast. You can simply add boiled eggs to your salad for any meal. Eggs have been and are still the richest source of protein. They are also a good source of lutein which helps in keeping the skin hydrated and firm. Eggs contain amino acids that help in building collagen that is good for skin health.
- Nuts: Almonds and walnuts are very important for good skin and hair. Almonds provide Vitamin E which protects the skin from damage and promote growth of healthy skin cells. Walnuts are an excellent source of fatty acids like Omega-3. These are fats that your body cannot naturally produce. They are also good sources of Vitamin E, Vitamin C, zinc, selenium and protein which prevent skin from sagging and keep it plump and healthy.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are another superb source of vitamins and minerals. They protect your skin from harmful UV rays and alongside keep it hydrated and free from damage. Including fresh vegetables likes tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, etc in your diet helps you keep your skin healthy and glowing. Tomatoes contain Vitamin C and carotenoids that prevent wrinkling while Broccoli contains sulforaphane that protects you from sunburn and also prevents skin cancer.
- Fruits: Fruits that are rich in Vitamin C like oranges, grapes, kiwis are important for skin rejuvenation and also prevent infections. Fruits are not only flavourful, they are also abundant with vitamins, minerals and dietary fibres. You can also include fruits like Avocado that has healthy fats that keep your skin moisturized and protects it from sun damage. Papaya is another fruits that helps improve digestion, making your body free of toxins thus helping in keeping your skin clear.
- Dark Chocolate: Cocoa is rich in antioxidants that protect your skin from sun damage. It also helps with wrinkles, skin thickness and texture. Dark chocolate also improves blood flow and hydrate the body. The best part is that it has little or no sugar depending on what you choose.